Wednesday, March 11, 2009

THE SPOKE CLUB - www.thespokeclub.com

Alright, so my BFF is pretty important, especially in the city of Toronto. To prove this, he is a member of "The Spoke Club." A no-bullshit members only club that gives you a plastic card with your name on it--just to prove that you're the shit. Long story short, after a hectic week (or two) he treated me of a bottle of organic white wine. When I first got to this place, we took a huge elevator the size of my apartment up to the third floor, the main restaurant. The doors opened and the place was looking pretty alright for my taste. The girls are the front desk stared me down a few times just to make me feel at home in this high-class place. As we sat down to our table and overlooked the wine menu (because we are clearly alcoholics), we noticed something called "bio-dynamic wine." Being health freaks, my BFF and I asked out waiter what "bio-dynamic" meant. The waiter clearly had no clue and proceeded to run to the back kitchen to google "bio-dynamic" on his blackberry. Five minutes later, a lovely Asian woman greeted us and fully explained "bio-dynamic:" (I think his blackberry didn't have service at the time.) Anyways, It's basically a step further then organic. The dictionary states it as: "a method of organic farming involving such factors as the observation of lunar phases and planetary cycles and the use of incantations and ritual substances." Ritual substances?!!? Is that like witchcraft? Whatever, the wine tasted like heaven, it was floral and just the perfect amount of sweetness.
As for the decoration and crowd? I would honestly say that one half of The Spoke Club's main level is beautiful, it has exposed bricks and natural colors, while the other half is trying too hard to look like The Mod Club with it's red walls and tacky chandeliers. If you feel like sitting next to large tables full of Thornhill, Gossip-Girl wannabes taking self-pics, then this sure is the place to hang out.
It's too bad that we couldn't eat anything on the limited menu because it is all meat-based. I guess those Thornhill folk need iron to get through long days at the office so they can pay for their wives plastic surgery and Gucci bags.
All-in-all, if I ever go back to The Spoke Club, I'm going up one level from the main restaurant and wearing a wig and sunglasses to fit into the superficial crowd.

I give the "bio-dynamic" wine 5/5 on my D+D scale, but be prepared to spend an arm and a leg to sip the sweetness...

No comments:

Post a Comment